The rate of diabetic athletes is on the rise due to a variety of factors; mostly due to genetics however, the overload of sugar in RTD drinks and powdered electrolyte drink mixes, combined with Magnesium deficiency, contributes to the altered genetic replication and insufficient abilities to effectively process sugars and carbohydrates.
- Magnesium is necessary to make and secrete insulin.
- Magnesium facilitates carbohydrate metabolism.
- Magnesium allows insulin to transfer glucose into cells. Otherwise, glucose and insulin build up in the blood causing various types of tissue damage.
- Tyrosine kinase, an enzyme that allows glucose entry into the cell (along with insulin) is magnesium-dependent.
- Seven of the ten enzymes needed to metabolize glucose in the process called glycolysis are also magnesium-dependent.